The best seller is one who is highly motivated. A highly motivated seller is more likely to sell at a price that is less than his or her house is actually worth. And it matters that you find out why. Learning the reason why can help you get the price you want and help the seller get what they want: a timely sale.
Sellers have a multitude of reasons for selling and it could be a job change, to a new location or financial problems. If you can solve their problem, whether it is cash related or time related, do so. For example, if the sellers are highly motivated because they need to move quickly, give them a fast sale - and a lower price. If you can make an offer, even a low one, that gives them cash in a short time, they may be more likely to accept.
There are also some sellers that you should avoid. Not every seller is as genuinely motivated as they make themselves to be. Some possible hints:
- they stall on having the home appraised or inspected
- they are unable to clear up liens against their property
- they do not own 100% of their property
- they push back the closing and/or move-out date
- they do not have a replacement property or back up plan
- their house is on the market a very long time and there's been no change in price
It is impossible to find the perfect seller. But it is possible to find out which sellers are legit and which ones aren’t. Work with your agent/broker to be specific in outlining the offer with time frames and be prepared to follow through on them - and above all, if there are any delays, communicate them to keep everyone in "the know".